Monday, July 14, 2008

awakening



excerpt from A New Earth ("Incontrovertible proof of immortality")

"...You live with a mental image of yourself, a conceptual self that you have a relationship with. Life itself becomes conceptualized and separated from who you are when you speak of "my life." The moment you say or think "my life" and believe in what you are saying, you have entered the realm of delusion. If there is such thing as "my life," it follows that I and life are two seperate things, and so I can also lose my life, my imaginary treasured possession. Death becomes a seeming reality and a threat. Words and concepts split life into seperate segments that have no reality in themselves. We could even say that the notion "my life" is the original delusion of seperateness, the source of ego. If I and life are two, if I am seperate from life, then I am seperate from all things, all beings, all people. But how could I be seperate from life? What "I" could there be apart from life, apart from Being? It is utterly impossible. So there is no such thing as "my life," and I don't have a life. I am life. I and life are one. It cannot be otherwise. So how could I lose my life? How can I lose something that I don't have in the first place? How can I lose something that I Am? It is impossible." Eckhart Tolle

No comments: